WE LOVE OUR EARTH
The UOW UniBar is leading the way in environmental initiatives and has reduced it waste to to landfill by 84% (from 1200L to 1920 L per week). Some of the incredible initiatives that have been put in place include:
- Replacing plastic packaging with certifiable alternatives made from renewable resources.
- Replacing single use cups with reusable polycarbonate cups and removing removing plastic straws has eliminated the use of approximately 50,000 cups and 10,000 straws per year.
- Installation of a Pulpmaster waste to energy system to pulp food waste and compostable food packaging. This system is diverting approximately 2700kg of organic waste from landfill each week.
- Provision of general waste, recycling and organic waste bins. Staff sort through bins to remove contamination before disposal.
- The introduction of a soft plastic bin and recycling process.
- Introduction of a vegan option menu to reduce carbon footprint. (UOW was named Australia's most Vegan Friendly by PETA).
SETTING THE BAR
Check out all the awesome stuff we're doing at UniBar.
Last reviewed: 2 November, 2017